Mary Madison, RN, RAC-CT, CDP
Clinical Consultant – Briggs Healthcare
CMS has posted a revised MLN Matters Fact Sheet – HIPAA Basics for Providers: Privacy, Security and Breach Notification Rules.
The 8-page Fact Sheet addresses:
- The Privacy Rule, which sets national standards for when protected health information (PHI) may be used and disclosed.
- The Security Rule, which specifies safeguards that covered entities and their business associates must implement to protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of electronic protected health information (ePHI).
- The Breach Notification Rule, which requires covered entities to notify affected individuals; U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS); and, in some cases, the media of a breach of unsecured PHI.
- Who must comply with HIPAA rules
- Resources – there’s a wealth of information here that you’ll want to review and bookmark for future reference.