Mary Madison, RN, RAC-CT, CDP
Clinical Consultant – Briggs Healthcare
Late in the day Friday, October 16, 2020, I quickly blogged on this newly announced program. Registration for this program begins today and runs for 2 weeks. This program will provide the COVID-19 vaccine (when it’s available) to nursing home residents as well as those individuals residing in assisted living and independent living facilities (you’ll see that again in the Press Release). You’ll want to review the 3 documents provided within that 10/16/20 blog.
Today, I’m providing the link to the HHS Press Release so you can read that and access additional information.
The (Pharmacy Partnership) program is:
- Free of charge to facilities.
- Available for residents in all long-term care settings, including skilled nursing facilities (SNF), nursing homes, assisted living facilities, residential care homes, and adult family homes.
- Available to all remaining LTCF staff members who have not been previously vaccinated for COVID-19 (e.g., through satellite, temporary, or off-site clinics).
- Available in most rural areas that may not have an easily accessible pharmacy.
HHS is using multiple authorities to ensure appropriate reimbursement for these services and that no American being vaccinated for COVID-19 will have to pay out-of-pocket.
CVS and Walgreens will schedule and coordinate on-site clinic date(s) directly with each facility. It is anticipated that three total visits over approximately two months are likely to be needed to administer both doses of vaccine (if indicated) to residents and staff. The pharmacies will also:
- Receive and manage vaccines and associated supplies (e.g., syringes, needles, and personal protective equipment).
- Ensure cold chain management for vaccine.
- Provide on-site administration of vaccine.
- Report required vaccination data (including who was vaccinated, with what vaccine, and where) to the state, local, or territorial, and federal public health authorities within 72 hours of administering each dose.
- Adhere to all applicable Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) requirements for COVID-19 testing for LTCF staff.