Mary Madison, RN, RAC-CT, CDP
Clinical Consultant – Briggs Healthcare
How to Report COVID Vaccine-Related Adverse Events — As Americans start receiving their first COVID-19 vaccines, additional data on potential adverse events are needed in real time. Healthcare providers will play a critical role in reporting vaccine-related adverse events through the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS). Providers can also encourage individual patients to self-report potential adverse events as they occur through v-safe, CDC’s new patient reporting platform. Read more in this new CDC Medscape Expert Commentary by Dr. Tom Shimabukuro, CDC’s COVID-19 Vaccine Safety Team Lead.
Updated Interim Clinical Considerations for Use of mRNA COVID-19 Vaccines Currently Authorized in the United States— This guidance has been updated to include the following:
- Additional information on antibody therapies and COVID-19 vaccination
- Information on COVID-19 vaccination and outbreak management
- Additional information on vaccination of immunocompromised persons
- Updates to contraindications and precautions to vaccination
- Information on COVID-19 vaccination and tuberculin skin testing
To learn more, please visit: mRNA COVID-19 Vaccines.
Frequently Asked Questions about COVID-19 Vaccination in Long-Term Care Facilities (LTCF) — Making sure LTCF residents can receive COVID-19 vaccination as soon as vaccine is available will help save the lives of those who are most at risk of dying from COVID-19. CDC updates frequently asked questions for Healthcare Infection Prevention and Control and Healthcare Professionals regularly based on feedback from professionals on the ground.
Additional CDC materials about the vaccine recommendation process, vaccine safety, and the Pharmacy Partnership for Long-Term Care Program:
- How CDC is Making Vaccine Recommendations
- Ensuring COVID-19 Vaccines Work
- Ensuring the Safety of COVID-19 Vaccines in the United States
- Frequently Asked Questions about COVID-19 Vaccination
- Pharmacy Partnership for Long-Term Care Program FAQs
- COVID-19 Vaccination Reporting Data Systems
- EARLY RELEASE: The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices’ Interim Recommendation for Use of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine – United States, December 2020
- Importance of COVID-19 Vaccination for Residents of Long-term Care Facilities
- Post Vaccine Considerations for Healthcare Personnel
- Post Vaccine Considerations for Residents
[A big thank-you to Telligen QI Connect for making this information available in an easily-communicable format!]