Mary Madison, RN, RAC-CT, CDP
Clinical Consultant – Briggs Healthcare
The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) published and posted Necessity of 2 Doses of the Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 Vaccines on February 3, 2021. It’s an interesting read that will help answer the questions many of us have regarding 2 doses of these initial COVID-19 vaccines.
Edward H. Livingston, MD is the author of this piece. Dr. Livingston is the Deputy Editor of JAMA.
The quick read addresses these questions:
- How Do the COVID-19 Vaccines Work?
- Why Are 2 Vaccine Doses Needed?
- Controversy About the Need for a Second Vaccine Dose
- When Should the Second Dose Be Given?
- Do the New SARS-CoV-2 Variants Affect Vaccine Efficacy?
- Where to Get Vaccinated
The article also provides a link to CDC Interim Clinical Considerations for Use of mRNA COVID-19 Vaccines Currently Authorized in the US for additional information. This CDC website was last updated January 21, 2021.