Mary Madison, RN, RAC-CT, CDP
Clinical Consultant – Briggs Healthcare
CMS has posted the updated 5-page Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) Quality Reporting Program (QRP) Quick Reference Guide – v2.0 with the date of January 28, 2022. (I think this updated document was posted on March 2, 2022, judging from the page last modified stamp on the Skilled SNF QRP Data Submission Deadlines landing page.)
The initial QR Guide – version 1.0 was posted on January 19, 2021.
The IMPACT Act of 2014 mandated the establishment of the SNF QRP. As finalized in the Fiscal Year (FY) 2016 SNF PPS final rule, beginning with FY 2018 and each subsequent FY, the Secretary shall reduce the market basket update (also known as the Annual Payment Update, or APU) by 2 percentage points for any SNF that does not comply with the quality data submission requirements with respect to that FY.
SNFs utilize the Minimum Data Set (MDS) 3.0 via the Quality Improvement and Evaluation System (QIES) Assessment Submission and Processing (ASAP) system to collect patient assessment data. The implementation of the SNF QRP will not change requirements related to the submission of MDS 3.0 data through the Assessment Submission and Processing (ASAP) system to the Quality Improvement Evaluation System (QIES).
If the required quality data is not reported by each designated submission deadline, the SNF will be subject to a two (2)-percentage point reduction in their annual payment update (APU).
FAQs in version 2.0 include:
- How do I verify my NHSN data submission?
- How is NHSN compliancy determined?
- Are swing beds subject to the NHSN COVID-19 Vaccination Coverage Among Healthcare Personnel requirements?
- Where can I find more information about the SNF QRP requirements?
- How do I verify my MDS submission?
- How are MDS QRP thresholds calculated?
- When is a new SNF required to begin reporting SNF QRP data?
- Are swing beds subject to SNF QRP requirements?
- What measures are required for the SNF QRP?
You’ll also find Help Desk Assistance and numerous Helpful Links on the last two pages of the QR Guide.