Mary Madison, RN, RAC-CT, CDP
Clinical Consultant – Briggs Healthcare
CMS posted nursing home COVID-19 data for the week ending March 20, 2022.
Comparing the March 20th data to the March 13th data shows these changes:
- Resident vaccination rate increased 0.1% from the previous week
- Residents with booster doses (new the week of 2/6) increased by 0.7% this past week
- Staff vaccination rate increased 0.4% this week
- Staff with booster doses (new the week of 2/6) increased by 1.2% this past week
- An additional 3,586 resident cases were confirmed/reported this week
- An additional 455 resident deaths were confirmed/reported this week
- An additional 7,162 staff cases were confirmed/reported this week (an additional 1,758 staff cases were confirmed/reported the previous week)
- An additional 22 staff deaths were confirmed/reported this week (an additional 21 staff deaths were confirmed/reported the previous week)
Be sure to review the list of every nursing home with recent resident and staff vaccination rates and other pertinent data – especially your facility’s vaccination rates as this data will be used for completing the COVID-19 Matrix during survey. State surveyors look at this data prior to entering your facility for survey (during their preparation). This data is current as of the week ending March 20, 2022.
The CDC COVID Data Tracker shows these current community transmission levels:
The NHSN Nursing Home Covid-19 Data Dashboard provides this data as of March 28, 2022, at 5:30am ET:
Note that staff deaths are increasing – again. Please continue to work with your staff and residents to educate them on the benefits of COVID-19 vaccination. Let’s get the vaccine rates up and the cases+death rates down!!
Please also keep in mind that the Omicron BA.2 variant is now the dominant strain in the U.S. – 55% of the cases. The CDC updated its Omicron Variant: What You Need to Know website on March 29, 2022.