Mary Madison, RN, RAC-CT, CDP
Clinical Consultant – Briggs Healthcare
CMS has posted the Nursing Home COVID-19 data for the week ending August 7, 2022.
Comparing the August 7th data to the July 24th data shows these changes:
- Resident primary vaccination completion rate decreased by 0.4% from 2 weeks prior
- Residents with booster doses increased 0.5% from 2 weeks prior
- Staff primary vaccination completion rate remained the same (same as previous 7 weeks)
- Staff with booster doses increased 0.6%
- An additional 26,621 resident cases were confirmed/reported this week – double from 2 weeks prior
- An additional 128 resident deaths were reported this week – also double from 2 weeks prior
- An additional 32,159 staff cases were confirmed/reported this week – double from 2 weeks prior
- An additional 64 staff deaths were reported this week – triple from 2 weeks prior
Please continue your efforts to educate staff, residents and families about the life-saving benefits of vaccination as well as the importance of getting the booster. Lives depend on both.
Cases continue to rise. BA.4 and BA.5 together remain the dominant strains currently. BA.5 is more highly contagious than previous strains.
Be sure to review your facility’s vaccination rates on the list of every nursing home with recent resident and staff vaccination rates and other pertinent data as this data will be used for completing the COVID-19 Matrix during survey. State surveyors look at this data in preparation for your survey. You’ll also need to know your current rate (as reported to NHSN) and provide it to the survey team entering your facility. This data is current as of the week ending August 7, 2022.
The CDC COVID Data Tracker shows these current community transmission levels as of August 15, 2022:
The NHSN Nursing Home Covid-19 Data Dashboard provides this data as of August 15, 2022, at 5:30am ET: