Mary Madison, RN, RAC-CT, CDP
Clinical Consultant – Briggs Healthcare
CMS has posted the nursing home COVID-19 data for the week ending September 25, 2022.
Comparing the September 25th data to the September 18th data shows these changes:
- Resident primary vaccination completion rate was unchanged from previous week
- Residents with booster doses decreased 1.1% from previous 2 weeks
- Staff primary vaccination completion rate decreased by 0.1% from the previous 5 weeks
- Staff with booster doses decreased 0.0% from the previous week
- An additional 8,991 resident cases were confirmed this week
- An additional 227 resident deaths were reported this week
- An additional 9,144 staff cases were confirmed this week
- An additional 19 staff deaths were reported this week
As I say every week with this report, please continue your efforts to educate staff, residents and families about the life-saving benefits of the primary vaccinations as well as the importance of getting the booster – now the bivalent booster.
Reminder: On September 1, 2022, CDC recommended updated COVID-19 boosters from Pfizer-BioNTech for people ages 12 years and older and from Moderna for people ages 18 years and older. The first booster dose and second booster dose metrics currently on COVID-19 Data Tracker include administrations of both the previously recommended and updated booster doses. CDC is working to update visualizations and metrics to reflect the new recommendations across COVID-19 Data Tracker webpages, including providing individual totals for both booster dose types.
Now is not the time to be complacent – residents and staff continue to become ill and die at significant rates. Every resident and every staff death is a loss to the community and families.
Be sure to review your facility’s vaccination rates on the list of every nursing home with recent resident and staff vaccination rates and other pertinent data as this data will be used for completing the COVID-19 Matrix during survey. State surveyors look at this data in preparation for your survey. You’ll also need to know your current rate (as reported to NHSN) and provide it to the survey team entering your facility. This data is current as of the week ending September 25, 2022.
The CDC COVID Data Tracker shows these current community transmission levels as of October 3, 2022:
The NHSN Nursing Home Covid-19 Data Dashboard provides this data as of October 3, 2022, at 5:30am ET: