Mary Madison, RN, RAC-CT, CDP
Clinical Consultant – Briggs Healthcare
Earlier this week, the CDC posted this Annual Influenza Vaccination Data Reporting for the 2022-2023 Influenza Season: Summary of Key Points for LTC Facilities.
The CDC National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) Vaccination Unit provided a webinar for long-term Care (LTC) facilities on Tuesday, September 27, 2022 to review annual healthcare personnel influenza vaccination summary data reporting through the NHSN Healthcare Personnel (HCP) Vaccination Module of the Healthcare Personnel Safety (HPS) Component for the 2022-2023 influenza season.
What is Required?
• The Influenza Vaccination Coverage among HCP measure was finalized in the FY 2023 SNF PPS Final Rule which was published in the Federal Register on August 3, 2022. As a result, CMS-certified skilled nursing facilities (SNFs) are required to report annual HCP influenza vaccination summary data through the NHSN HPS Component for the 2022-2023 influenza season.
- For questions related to SNF Quality Reporting Program (QRP) requirements, please contact CMS at: SNFQualityQuestions@cms.hhs.gov.
• The reporting period for the 2022-2023 influenza season is from October 1, 2022 through March 31, 2023.
• A single summary report covering the entire reporting period for the season is required.
• The deadline to report the annual HCP influenza vaccination summary data through the NHSN HPS Component is May 15, 2023. Reporting weekly influenza vaccination data through the NHSN LTC Facility Component does not fulfill this reporting requirement.
Activating the HPS Component
• Facilities must activate the HPS Component in NHSN to report annual influenza vaccination summary data.
• Only the NHSN Facility Administrator (FA) can activate a new component.
• The NHSN FA can activate the HPS Component by navigating to Facility -> Add/Edit Component. The FA can then add users including the HPS Component Primary Contact.
• If the NHSN FA leaves the facility but does not transfer the role of FA to another individual prior to leaving, please complete the NHSN Facility Administrator Change Request Form: https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/facadmin/index.html.
Questions about CMS SNF QRP requirements:
Please direct all questions regarding CMS SNF QRP requirements and deadlines to: SNFQualityQuestions@cms.hhs.gov.
Healthcare Personnel (HCP) Flu Vaccination
Upcoming Webinar Registration Information:
An additional training on reporting annual HCP influenza vaccination summary data through the NHSN HPS Component is being offered.
When: Wednesday, October 19, 2022 at 1:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
After registering, you will receive a confirmation e-mail containing information about joining the webinar.
If you have any questions about NHSN, please send an e-mail to user support at firstname.lastname@example.org. You should also include “HPS Flu Summary” in the subject line of the e-mail and specify that you are a long-term care facility.
Thank you for your efforts reporting annual influenza vaccination summary data in NHSN,
NHSN Vaccination Team