Mary Madison, RN, RAC-CT, CDP
Clinical Consultant – Briggs Healthcare
CMS has posted the latest nursing home COVID-19 data for the week ending November 27, 2022.
Comparing the November 27th data to the November 20th data shows these changes:
- Resident primary vaccination completion rate decreased 0.2% this week
- Residents up to date with vaccines increased 0.5%
- Staff primary vaccination completion rate remained unchanged from the previous week
- Staff up to date with vaccines decreased 0.6% from the previous week
- An additional 14,883 resident cases were confirmed this week
- An additional 340 resident deaths were reported this week
- An additional 9,033 staff cases were confirmed this week
- An additional 29staff deaths were reported this week
Be sure to review your facility’s vaccination rates on the list of every nursing home with recent resident and staff vaccination rates and other pertinent data as this data will be used for completing the COVID-19 Matrix during survey. State surveyors look at this data in preparation for your survey. You’ll also need to know your current rate (as reported to NHSN) and provide it to the survey team entering your facility. This data is current as of the week ending November 27, 2022.
The NHSN Nursing Home Covid-19 Data Dashboard provides this data as of December 5, 2022, at 5:30am ET:
The CDC COVID Data Tracker shows these current community transmission levels as of December 5, 2022:
The above chart comes from this CDC Trends in Number of COVID-19 Vaccinations in the US website.
Looking at the Community Transmission data as well as the Vaccinations Trends data, as clinician, we need to do everything we can to get our staff, residents, families and community members. Vaccines save lives – that can’t be said enough. This fall/winter season is seeing an alarming uptick of influenza cases (in addition to the increase in COVID-19 cases and RSV). Check out the Weekly Flu Vaccination Dashboard. Below is one such chart – Medicare Beneficiaries aged ≥ 65 years of age: