Mary Madison, RN, RAC-CT, CDP
Clinical Consultant – Briggs Healthcare
CMS has posted the latest nursing home COVID-19 data for the week ending December 18, 2022.
Comparing the December 18th data to the November 27th data shows these changes:
- Resident primary vaccination completion rate decreased 0.3% during these 3 weeks
- Residents up to date with vaccines increased 2.6% during these 3 weeks
- Staff primary vaccination completion rate decreased 0.2% during these 3 weeks
- Staff up to date with vaccines decreased 0.9% during these 3 weeks
- An additional 61,375 resident cases were confirmed during these 3 weeks
- An additional 1,164 resident deaths were reported during these 3 weeks
- An additional 42,997 staff cases were confirmed during these 3 weeks
- An additional 49 staff deaths were reported during these 3 weeks
Be sure to review your facility’s vaccination rates on the list of every nursing home with recent resident and staff vaccination rates and other pertinent data as this data will be used for completing the COVID-19 Matrix during survey. State surveyors look at this data in preparation for your survey. You’ll also need to know your current rate (as reported to NHSN) and provide it to the survey team entering your facility. This data is current as of the week ending December 18, 2022.
The NHSN Nursing Home Covid-19 Data Dashboard provides this data as of December 26, 2022, at 5:30am ET:
The CDC COVID Data Tracker shows these current community transmission levels as of December 5, 2022:
The chart below is found on the CDC Trends in Number of COVID-19 Vaccinations in the US website.
If you’re interested in the COVID-19 variants currently being tracked in the U.S., access the CDC Summary of Variant Surveillance website. This page summarizes three different systems being used, including the 1) National SARS-CoV-2 Genomic Surveillance System, the 2) National Wastewater Surveillance System, and the 3) Traveler-based SARS-CoV-2 Genomic Surveillance Program.
(Note the new Omicron variants – XBB.1.5 and XBB.)
This fall/winter season continues to see an alarming uptick of influenza cases (in addition to the increase in COVID-19 cases and RSV). Check out the Weekly Flu Vaccination Dashboard. Below is one such chart – Medicare Beneficiaries aged ≥ 65 years of age as of December 16, 2022:
Keep working on educating your staff, residents and families about the importance of vaccination. Vaccination saves lives!