Mary Madison, RN, RAC-CT, CDP
Clinical Consultant – Briggs Healthcare
Iowa Medicaid/HHS posted INFORMATIONAL LETTER NO. 2432-MC-FFS Thursday afternoon, March 9, 2023.
DATE: March 9, 2023
TO: All Iowa Medicaid Providers
APPLIES TO: Managed Care (MC), Fee-for-Service (FFS)
FROM: Iowa Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Iowa Medicaid
RE: End of Federal Public Health Emergency (PHE) Flexibilities
In March 2020, the federal PHE established flexibilities to the Medicaid program in accordance with PHE policies and benefits. With the announcement that the PHE will end on May 11, 2023, Iowa Medicaid will begin releasing a series of informational letters concerning the end of these PHE flexibilities.
As each flexibility ends, Iowa Medicaid will publish an informational letter explaining the piece that is “unwinding,” or returning to normal operating procedures. These areas include, but are not limited to:
• COVID-19 testing, treatments, and vaccines
• Iowa Health and Wellness Plan (IHAWP)
• Healthy and Well Kids in Iowa (Hawki)
• Medicaid for Employed People with Disabilities (MEPD)
• Managed Care Plan (MCP) flexibilities
• Home- and Community-Based Services (HCBS)
• Dental Wellness Plan
• Member and Provider Services
• Title 19 of the Social Security Act system and buy-in
If you have questions or concerns about the end of these flexibilities, please contact Member Services at 1-800-338-8366 or Provider Services at 1-800-338-7909. Call centers are open Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 5 PM.