Mary Madison, RN, RAC-CT, CDP
Clinical Consultant – Briggs Healthcare
The NHSN Vaccination Team provided two webinars on Tuesday, March 29th and Thursday, March 31st to review the new (optional) Event-Level COVID-19 Vaccination Forms. These are the new and improved versions of the Excel Data Tracking Worksheets. These worksheets are available in the NHSN application for long-term care facilities (other modules coming soon!) to manage person-level vaccination data and simplify summarizing data for weekly COVID-19 Vaccination Modules.
During the webinars, we provided long-term care facilities an overview of how to use this feature, which allows them to manage person-level vaccination data directly in the application for the COVID-19 Vaccination Modules. Based on the person-level data, the application calculates the cumulative totals for the weekly healthcare personnel (HCP) and resident vaccination forms, and users can review these totals and submit these data. The slides used during the webinars are linked under the “Educational Resources” section of this message, and webinar recordings will be posted on the NHSN website at a later date.
Summary of Key Points:
- The Event-Level COVID-19 Vaccination Forms are optional tools that can be used to report data to the main weekly HCP and Resident COVID-19 Vaccination Modules.
- The Event-Level COVID-19 Vaccination Forms are new and improved versions of the Excel Data Tracking Worksheets that are currently posted on the NHSN website.
- The Excel Data Tracking Worksheets will be retired in May 2022.
- The optional Event-Level COVID-19 Vaccination Forms are available in the NHSN application.
- SAMS Level 3 access is required to complete reporting using the Event-Level COVID-19 Vaccination Forms. To request SAMS Level 3 access, please contact NHSN@cdc.gov and place in the subject line: “SAMS Level 3 Access.”
- Data are entered line by line in the optional Event-Level COVID-19 Vaccination Forms similar to the Excel Data Tracking Worksheet.
- You can complete a one-time upload of the Excel Data Tracking Worksheet to the NHSN Event-Level COVID-19 Vaccination Forms. Once your data are transferred to the NHSN application, do not continue to use/re-upload the Excel Data Tracking Worksheet because the two tools do not function the same way.
- You can export a .CSV file and upload data via .CSV: https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/pdfs/ltc/covidvax/c19-event-layout-508.pdf.
- There is no need to enter a new line for an individual each week or when their status changes; instead, Event-Level COVID-19 Vaccination Forms capture changes in individuals’ vaccination status over time.
- These forms allow users to record religious exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
- Note: We encourage facilities to enter the same IDs for residents and HCP as those used for reporting the POC Tool and the RIFC Event-Level Form when applicable.
- Event-Level COVID-19 Vaccination Form Quick Reference Guide – April 2022
- Training Slides: NHSN Event-Level COVID-19 Vaccination Forms – April 2022, https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/pdfs/ltc/covidvax/c19-eventlevel-508.pdf
- .CSV templates for Event-Level COVID-19 Vaccination Forms for LTCF Residents and HCP – April 2022
- Weekly HCP & Resident COVID-19 Vaccination, Weekly HCP & Resident COVID-19 Vaccination | LTCF | NHSN | CDC
For specific information about CMS reporting requirements for long-term care facilities, please contact CMS at: DNH_TriageTeam@cms.hhs.gov.