Mary Madison, RN, RAC-CT, CDP
Clinical Consultant – Briggs Healthcare
CMS has posted the COVID-19 data for nursing homes for the week ending June 5, 2022.
Comparing the June 5th data to the previous May 29th data shows these changes:
- Resident vaccination rate remained the same as last week’s report
- Residents with booster doses increased by 1.0% this past week
- Staff vaccination rate remained the same as last week’s report
- Staff with booster doses increased by 1.2% this past week
- An additional 7,447 resident cases were confirmed/reported this week
- An additional 147 resident deaths were confirmed/reported this week from the previous week
- An additional 18,268 staff cases were confirmed/reported this week (quite a jump!)
- An additional 13 staff deaths were confirmed/reported this week
Please continue your efforts to educate staff, residents and families about the life-saving benefits of vaccination as well as the importance of getting the booster. Lives depend on both.
Cases continue to rise again due to the omicron variant BA.2 and there’s also another subvariant detected as of late April/early May – BA.2.12.1. Additionally, there are more variants out there and the variants are on the rise – BA.4 and BA.5. BA.4 and BA.5 together accounted for an estimated 6% to 7% of new infections in the US in late May. The SARS-CoV-2 virus is not done with us yet.
Be sure to review your facility’s vaccination rates on the list of every nursing home with recent resident and staff vaccination rates and other pertinent data as this data will be used for completing the COVID-19 Matrix during survey. State surveyors look at this data in preparation for your survey. You’ll also need to know your current rate (as reported to NHSN) and provide it to the survey team entering your facility. This data is current as of the week ending June 5, 2022.
The CDC COVID Data Tracker shows these current community transmission levels:
The NHSN Nursing Home Covid-19 Data Dashboard provides this data as of June 6, 2022, 5:30am ET (NHSN has not posted the data graphs for June 13, 2022 – no explanation given so these are the graphs that I showed you from last week’s data):